8:00 am - 5:00 pm
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
7:00 am - 12:00 pm
While studies show that smiling often makes you look younger, in some cases showing off your pearly whites could be aging you. Your teeth go through a lot of changes over the years, and sometimes these changes can lead to other people treating you as older. If you’re worried about how you’ll look as you age, here’s what you need to know about your smile making you look older – and how your cosmetic dentist in Hampton may be able to help.
How Your Smile Can Age You
Here are just a few differences that you might notice when you look in the mirror as the years go by:
- Discoloration: Your teeth will naturally become stained as you get older, especially if you enjoy a cup of coffee every morning or a glass of wine in the evening. Also, as your enamel wears away, the yellowish dentin layer of your teeth starts to show through.
- Worn or Missing Teeth: Teeth tend to become shorter the more you use them to bite and chew. Particularly worn teeth can make you look older. And of course, a gap in your smile will usually be seen as a sign of advanced aging.
- Worn Restorations: Old, worn fillings can discolor your teeth. Also, the more restorations you have, the more years you can add to your perceived age.
- Wrinkles: Your teeth and jaws help support the lower part of your face; if these structures worn down, the skin in that area will start to fold or bunch up around your mouth.
Ways Your Cosmetic Dentist Can Make You Look Younger
An aging smile can have a negative impact on your confidence, but luckily your dentist in Hampton can offer several solutions! There are many different cosmetic treatments you can get depending on the changes you want. When it specifically comes to issues related to aging, your local practice can offer:
- Teeth Whitening: This treatment can brighten your teeth by 6 to 8 shades in about an hour, getting rid of stains and discoloration in the process. It can be done in your home or at your dentist’s office.
- Metal-Free Restorations: Crowns can help protect your worn teeth from further damage. When a crown is made of porcelain, the result is a beautiful, natural-looking tooth.
- Porcelain Veneers: This treatment can mask many different cosmetic flaws at once so that you don’t have to worry about getting multiple procedures.
If you’re worried that people might be treating you as older because of your smile, schedule a consultation with your dentist; be clear about the kind of changes you want to make and your goals for treatment. That way they’ll be able to make a smile makeover plan that’s right for you.
About the Author
Dr. Harbpinder Shevchenko brings families in the Hampton area high quality dental service at her practice, Smiles by the Sea. With her artistic touch, she can use porcelain veneers, teeth whitening, metal-free crowns, and dental bonding to provide cosmetic treatment tailored to each patient. To schedule an appointment, visit her website or call (603) 319-4415.