When you have a toothache, the intense pain and constant throbbing are impossible to ignore. You may even be unable to go about your daily tasks because of the discomfort. Don’t try to wait until your next dental visit to get help or hope that the problem will subside on its own. At Smiles by the Sea in Hampton, NH, we are ready to provide toothache pain relief right away so you can feel better and avoid bigger oral health problems.
Causes of Toothache Pain
The first step to stop toothache pain is to diagnose the source of the problem. There are many possible problems that could be going on in your mouth, including:
- Tooth decay: A cavity that has grown large and begun to invade the deeper layers of the tooth is one of the most common causes of tooth pain.
- Infection: If the pulp of the tooth is infected, this severe pain is usually caused by significant tooth decay or damage to the tooth that allowed bacteria and food particles to sneak inside.
- Gum disease: Periodontal disease can spread pain throughout the mouth, and though it may feel like a toothache, the problem is the infection attacking your gums.
- Recessed gums: Receding gums reveal the inner layer of the tooth. This dental hypersensitivity causes sharp pain that can be exacerbated by very hot or cold foods and drinks.
- Impacted wisdom tooth: If toothache pain is in the back of the mouth, impacted wisdom teeth that have partially erupted or not erupted at all could be the culprit.
Dental Care for Toothache Pain Relief
There is a solution for every oral health issue, and most toothache pain relief takes the form of common procedures that your dentist performs regularly. You may find yourself undergoing one or more of the following treatments to eliminate your discomfort:
- Root canal therapy: No one jumps at the idea of getting root canal therapy, but this treatment makes your pain go away immediately. The roots of the problem tooth are cleared out, cleaned, and filled so they can no longer cause any pain.
- Tooth-colored filling: If you have a small- to medium-sized cavity, your dentist will clear out the decay and replace it with a tooth-colored filling that fix the problem and beautify your tooth.
- Porcelain crown: Extremely large cavities damage a tooth so significantly that it cannot handle a filling. A porcelain crown covers the tooth completely for a secure and attractive repair. Crowns are also used after root canal therapy to protect the tooth from future damage.
- Dental bonding: In cases of painful gum recession, carefully placed dental bonding reduces sensitivity, though sealants and fillings can also help minimize the discomfort.
- Tooth extraction: In the worst-case scenario, when an infection or cavity is so deep that it cannot be repaired with another treatment, the problem tooth will be extracted and later replaced with a dental implant or other restoration. Extractions are also done in cases of impacted wisdom teeth.
Cost Factors of Toothache Pain Relief
The cost factors of toothache pain relief will depend on many different factors that begin with the cause of the pain and will also include:
- What treatment is needed
- How many procedures are needed
- Materials used
- Whether it is an emergency dental visit
- The dentist’s experience
- Location of the dental office
Your dentist’s goal is to provide you with toothache pain relief immediately. You will have options about the kind of care you undergo, and it can always be made affordable between your dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, and convenient financing options offered through your Hampton dentist.
Get Emergency Toothache Pain Relief in Hampton, NH
If you have tooth pain, you are miserable – you know it and your dentist knows it. No matter what’s going on above or below the gum line, don’t try to wait for it to fade away. It won’t – and your dentist can help right now. Contact Smiles by the Sea in Hampton, NH, to get toothache pain relief right away.