Posts for tag: restorative dentistry
Have you lost one or more of your natural teeth? Do you want to have the gap(s) in your smile fixed, but don't want to break your bank doing it? Well, our dentist in Hampton, NH, Dr. Harbpinder Shevchenko, has just the solution. They can supply you with and your smile with dentures.
What are dentures?
Dentures are oral appliances, used by individuals who have lost some or all their natural teeth due to tooth decay, gum disease, or injury.
If you're not sure how to go about getting dentures and what types are available, consulting your dentists in Hampton is definitely a good start. Before you visit with them, however, here is some information about the types of dentures available:
- Full Dentures:
- Immediate Dentures are used temporarily for when people are transitioning into denture wearing.
- Conventional Full Dentures are permanent dentures made to fit your teeth perfectly.
- Implant-Supported Overdentures use one or more dental implants to secure and support upper and lower dentures.
- Partial Dentures:
- Transitional Partial Dentures are placed in your mouth temporarily while your gums heal and before dental implants replace them.
- Removable Partial Dentures are used instead of dental implants and bridgework.
How to care for dentures?
When you get your dentures, it's important to know how best to take care of them. Here are a few tips:
- It's best to rinse while dentures are still in your mouth. This will help get rid of any food particles.
- While brushing your teeth, make sure your clean your cheeks, the roof of your mouth, gums, and tongue to avoid having an unpleasant breath or irritation.
- The American Dental Association recommends using a soft-bristled toothbrush and a non-invasive cleanser when cleaning your dentures.
- Completely immerse your dentures in water when they're not in your mouth. This will help prevent them from becoming misshaped.
Need a consultation?
For more information about dentures at your Hampton, NH, dentist's office, call (603) 926-8827. It's time you take care of your dental health and improve your smile!
Are you ready to replace a missing tooth? Why not restore your entire tooth, including the roots, with dental implants? Our Hampton, NH, dentist, Dr. Harbpinder Shevchenko, explains how you can benefit from dental implants.
Implants replace your whole tooth
Other tooth restoration options only replace half of your tooth, the part you can see when you smile. Although replacing the visible part of your tooth is certainly important, building a new tooth from the roots up offers several important advantages, including:
- Stability: The dental implant that replaces your tooth roots actually becomes a permanent part of your jawbone. Implants are made of titanium, a metal that integrates with and bonds to your jawbone. It only takes a few months for bonding to occur. Once it does, your implant is as strong as the original root once was. Thanks to that stability, your new tooth won't slip when you enjoy a meal at our favorite Hampton restaurant.
- Natural Appearance: A dental crown added to the top of your dental implant improves the appearance of your smile and also makes it possible to chew easily. Your new tooth fills the gap in your smile, preventing unsightly overlapping or crooked teeth, a problem that can occur after tooth loss.
- A Permanent Solution: Because your implant bonds to your jawbone, it will probably never need to be replaced. Brushing and flossing your new tooth daily will help prevent infections that could threaten the implant.
- Reduced Risk of Cavities: When your teeth overlap, it's difficult to remove plaque from the tight spaces. Eventually, cavities can occur due to the plaque buildup. Dental implants keep your teeth straight, which reduces your risk of tooth decay.
- Excellent Biting Power: Because your implant acts as an artificial root, your biting power isn't affected when you choose an implant or implant-supported dentures.
- A Stronger Jawbone: Your roots not only keep your teeth securely in place but also prevent your jawbone from weakening. After you lose a tooth, your jawbone may eventually begin to weaken. If that happens, some of your teeth may loosen, and you might notice that your lower face has begun to sag. Thanks to the constant pressure provided by your tooth roots, jawbone changes won't be a problem.
Keep your smile full and bright with dental implants. Call our Hampton, NH, dentist, Dr. Shevchenko, at (603) 926-8827 to schedule your appointment.
You don’t have to give up on a tooth that is damaged and allow it to ruin your smile for the foreseeable future. A family dentist at Smiles by the Sea in Hampton, NH can fix it up with a crown that will last for up to 15 years. Crowns give damaged teeth a second chance and allow you to confidently present your smile to the world.
What Is a Dental Crown?
A crown is a dental device that’s designed to cover and protect the outer part of a tooth that has been damaged or discolored in some way. It replaces the enamel layer, which has to be removed in advance of the treatment. A dental crown can be made of composite resin or porcelain. Most people prefer the look, feel, and strength of a porcelain crown.
How Crowns Help Damaged Teeth
When a tooth is damaged due to injury, enamel erosion, or age, it often just needs an exterior makeover. Just because a tooth looks imperfect on the outside doesn’t mean it isn’t still healthy inside. A crown covers the inner part of the tooth so that it is safe from infection, and it also makes the tooth look and feel like new. Porcelain crowns also don’t stain as easily as natural tooth enamel does and they are very resilient.
A Second Chance
After you get a dental crown installed by your Hampton family dentist, your whole smile will feel stronger and healthier. You no longer have to worry about the tooth becoming infected or breaking when you eat something tough, like steak or corn. You basically have a second chance to enjoy your meals, speak in public with confidence, and smile comfortably around others.
Dr. Harbpinder Shevchenko is a family dentist at Smiles by the Sea in Hampton, NH who can help renew your smile with crowns. Call 603-926-8827 today to see if you are a good candidate for this common and effective restorative treatment for dental patients.
Oftentimes dentures are a cosmetic dentistry procedure used to treat partial or full tooth loss. This successful treatment method offers a variety of denture types to replace missing teeth in the mouth. With the help of Dr. Harbpinder Shevchenko from Smiles by the Sea Family Dentistry, getting dentures in Hampton, NH, has never been easier. With a comprehensive dental exam, she can determine your needs and offer the best solution for your tooth loss problem.
Types of Dentures
Dentures in Hampton, NH, come in a variety of types to fit the needs of any patient. They include:
- Immediate Dentures: This is typically a temporary way to help patients like you to transition into wearing dentures successfully. The dentures which are placed directly after tooth extraction occurs won’t fit the same as permanent dentures. This is because there is a natural shrinkage of gums after extraction. This type if a way to provide new teeth immediately while giving you the time to adjust.
- Conventional Full Dentures: After your gums are given the proper time to heal, permanent dentures can be made to match your mouth perfectly. These are made to imitate your natural teeth as much as possible and function as your natural teeth.
- Partial Dentures: These are removable dentures that serve as a temporary tooth replacement option. They are generally used when you wait for your mouth to heal properly after tooth extraction. Once healing finishes, dental implants are placed in your mouth.
At Hampton, NH, Dr. Shevchenko from Smiles by the Sea Family Dentistry can decide which type will benefit your oral health situation the best. After her examination, a mold of your mouth will be taken to be sent to a dental lab. She will take great care to balance your bite so that the full form of your new teeth will be successful. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Shevchenko today, call 603-926-8827.
If you've lost all or most of your teeth, you might feel uncomfortable smiling for pictures or even while interacting with others. That's understandable: people tend to see a healthy smile as a measure of success, attractiveness, even honesty. If the appearance of your smile is giving off the wrong impression, Dr. Harbpinder Shevchenko, your dentist in Hampton, NH, has a solution for you: custom dentures to restore your smile and make your life easier. Read on to learn more:
Why should I replace my teeth?
Many people who have been edentulous - without teeth - for a long time are used to eating and talking that way. However, your Hampton dentist wants her patients to know that going without teeth can be detrimental in other ways. Most people who have few or no teeth avoid foods that are difficult to chew, which often includes certain meats, vegetables and fruits, which means that important nutrients may not be a regular part of their diet. By wearing dentures custom-fitted for your mouth, you can comfortably eat the foods that provide you with the necessary vitamins and minerals. At first, there may be an adjustment period when you first get dentures, but after you become accustomed to them you'll wonder how you ever did without them.
How can dentures enhance my appearance?
While dentures of the past used to look clunky and ill-fitting, your Hampton dentist uses the most updated technology and materials to ensure you have a realistic smile. Wearing them not only gives you a full, beautiful set of teeth but also supports your cheek muscles, which might otherwise have a "hollow" look without anything to bolster them.
If you'd like to learn more about how dentures can help, we're excited to talk with you! Contact Smiles by the Sea, the office of Dr. Harbpinder Shevchenko, your dentist in Hampton, NH.