Adults are funny – they’ve finally grown up, have access to millions of things, but when it comes to perfecting their smile, they drag their feet or think they’re not qualified for an upgrade. Invisalign is particularly confusing for many people who still believe braces are only for teenagers. Here’s the reality: Invisalign is for adults, and it can work with your busy life.
You Have Time to Change Your Smile
An orthodontic alternative like Invisalign for adults takes time. The time commitment is not unreasonable though and it’s not unmanageable. In fact, it’s all very palatable. Here’s what to expect:
- On average, Invisalign treatment takes about 1 year to complete. Your treatment might be a little shorter or longer depending on the complexity of your case.
- You only need to see your dentist for a checkup every 6 to 8 weeks. That’s once every month-and-a-half to two months – hardly a time suck.
- You will change your trays every 2 weeks and your dentist will supply you with enough aligners to keep your treatment going for several weeks at a time.
- Aligners are worn for 20 to 22 hours a day to move your teeth consistently and according to plan, only removed for meals and snacks and cleaning.
The Benefits Are Otherworldly
It’s natural to assume that Invisalign, as a teeth-straightening method, is reserved for the adolescent age group. Adults, however, have become the biggest consumers of Invisalign for adults, and that’s because the benefits are off the charts:
- Discreet: Adults certainly don’t want to sport a metal mouth full of brackets and wires when they are pursuing straight teeth. Invisalign aligners are smooth, thin, and – most especially – clear and colorless. No one will know you’re wearing them. Work, live, and play confidently without anyone being the wiser.
- Comfy: Those brackets and wires just mentioned? They’re not comfortable. They scratch and jab and sometimes draw blood. Invisalign is smooth and slides right off the lips and cheeks without hanging around. You’ll still feel them squeezing your teeth and gently moving things into alignment, but they will otherwise be comfy.
- No food restrictions: You don’t want anyone telling you, as a grown-up, what you can and cannot eat. If you wear conventional braces, you’ll have restrictions. If you wear Invisalign, you just pop out the trays so you can pop in the foods you love most. As long as your shifting, sensitive teeth can handle it, Invisalign will not interfere.
Invisalign for Adults: The Route to a Healthy Smile
Teenagers might not care about how Invisalign creates healthier teeth, but adults who wear Invisalign certainly do. You know that a filling, root canal, extraction, or other restorative procedure is highly undesirable. When your teeth are straight, thanks to Invisalign for adults, they’re easy to keep clean, which means a reduced chance of tooth decay or infections.
At Smiles by the Sea, we are thrilled when our patients have healthy teeth and work toward even healthier teeth. Contact us to set up a consultation and discover if you’re a good candidate for this treatment.