When preparing to see your dentist in Hampton for a checkup or cleaning, you may spend much time thinking about the process they use to get ready for your visit. However, because COVID-19 has thrust sanitation and personal hygiene to the forefront of everyone’s mind, you might be wondering exactly what steps your dental team is taking to ensure your health and safety are a priority. Before you begin to worry or assume that you won’t be protected the next time you see your dentist, spend some time reviewing what protocols are being adopted to maintain a virus-free environment.
Upcoming Appointment: What Your Dentist is Doing to Prepare
Health and safety are the two most important priorities for your dentist. Not only are they mindful of how the events of the day can impact their staff, but they are also making sure that every patient leaves with a healthier smile than when they arrived. It takes a lot of work, knowledge, and training to keep a dentist’s office operating and in compliance with the unwavering, strict sanitation guidelines.
With the recent outbreak of COVID-19 spreading rapidly across the globe, your dentist is taking careful precautions to ensure all aspects of their practice remain free of any harmful bacteria that could pose a threat to both you and staff.
Apart from the increased efforts to thoroughly sanitize and disinfect all equipment, dental instruments, and surfaces, some of the additional ways they are preparing include:
- Identifying a Safety Champion each day to make sure all social distancing and appropriate cleaning measures are being followed.
- Providing necessary training for staff to become knowledgeable about the various protocols and standards that must be met to ensure a safe and healthy environment.
- Requiring all team members to change into their work clothes when they arrive as well as change out before they go home in an effort to reduce harmful bacteria from entering the office or spreading to others after leaving.
- Performing daily temperature checks on all staff to make sure everyone is healthy when they arrive for work. Should anyone feel sick or display symptoms associated with COVID-19, they are to remain at home.
- Maintaining optimal personal hygiene standards by wearing hair up, keeping fingernails short, and wearing no jewelry to avoid the possible transferring of bacteria from staff to patient.
Steps You Can Take Before Your Arrival
Because it requires both you and your dentist to take necessary precautions to keep everyone safe, there are a few things you can do at home to ensure your next visit is a success, such as:
- Practicing good oral habits by brushing your teeth twice daily, flossing at least once a day, and using an antimicrobial rinse to eliminate virus-causing bacteria.
- Maintaining high personal hygiene standards by making sure you are clean from head to toe and wearing clothes that are freshly laundered.
- Washing your hands with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds and using the hand sanitizer provided by your dentist when you arrive.
- Removing your gloves before entering the dentist’s office to avoid carrying in any germs that could potentially cause illness.
Your dentist has been and will continue to be your ally in the fight against COVID-19. While they work to keep everyone safe throughout the workday, make sure you’re doing the same when you come in for your next appointment.
About the Author
Dr. Harbpinder Shevchenko earned her Bachelor of Dental Surgery in India in 2003 before going on to achieve her Doctor of Dental Medicine degree from the Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine in 2009. She and her team at Smiles By the Sea Family Dentistry are taking extra precautions to make sure your next appointment meets the highest possible standards. From additional safety protocols to maintaining optimal personalized care, you can feel confident the next time you visit. If you are searching for a “dentist near me,” contact us at (603) 319-4415 to find out what we’re doing to prepare for your first appointment after reopening.