Invisalign Time Commitment
Any type of orthodontic treatment is an obligation, including Invisalign. With trays to wear daily, remove for meals, and keep clean, there is certainly an Invisalign time commitment, but it’s not as demanding as one might think. At Smiles by the Sea in Hampton, NH, we offer all the information you need to know about this discreet, innovative treatment to figure out if it will fit into your lifestyle.
How Long Will Invisalign Treatment Last?
Average Invisalign time commitment is one year, but every patient is different. Here are some of the basic factors that affect how long a patient must wear Invisalign:
- Patients with minor gaps or a relapse from braces worn in the past may need only six months of Invisalign.
- The teeth of teen patients may move more quickly than an adult’s teeth. This may or may not affect timeline, depending on the dentist’s plan.
- Patients with severe crowding or other complex issues may have treatment that goes beyond one year.
- Anyone who doesn’t wear their trays as instructed will fall out of compliance and treatment could take much longer than originally anticipated.
What Does the Daily Invisalign Time Commitment Look Like?
Clear trays may not be the same as brackets and wires that give you no reprieve, but they do require attention every single day during treatment. Here are examples of the minutes and hours you’ll be spending with Invisalign on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis:
- Trays are worn 20 to 22 hours a day and only removed for meals, snacks, and cleaning.
- Aligners are changed out every 2 weeks unless your dentist instructs otherwise. Every new set of trays is responsible for shifting a few different teeth at a time.
- See your dentist every 6 to 8 weeks for checkups and to collect your next sets of trays.
- Clean trays every morning and every night, when you brush your teeth, but also after every meal and before you put the aligners back in your mouth.
- After Invisalign treatment is complete, wear your retainers as instructed, usually every day all day for several months, then only at night.
Tips for Managing the Invisalign Time Commitment
The instruction to wear Invisalign 20 to 22 hours a day is not arbitrary. It’s incredibly important for the trays to be on your teeth for as long as possible every day. And think about it – in a year, maybe even less, you’ll have a straight, healthy smile.
To help you manage this timeline, make good use of your mobile devices:
- Set a timer for every meal for 20 to 30 minutes. It’s easy to get caught up in meal conversation with others and forget to put your trays back in place.
- Set alerts to clean your trays day and night and after meals.
- Set reminders to change out your trays with the newest set of aligners.
- Add your dental visits to your calendar and make sure reminders pop up.
Get Straight Teeth from Hampton Invisalign Provider Near Me
When your Invisalign journey begins, you will visit Dr. Harbpinder Shevchenko and her team, have digital images and impressions taken, and have your entire treatment planned out from the start. Your dentist can tell you exactly what to expect and what your Invisalign time commitment will really be. There are no surprises when it comes to this innovative treatment.
If you’re ready to learn more about this worthwhile investment, schedule an appointment at Smiles by the Sea in Hampton, NH. You have time for this initial step, and you have time for Invisalign. You’ll be thankful you took the time to do something good for your oral health.